How to Use the Mirrors on a Motorcycle
How to Use the Motorcycle Mirrors. Below are some tips for using both types.
1. Check your motorcycle mirrors every few seconds because traffic situations change quickly. Doing so prevents you from getting caught off guard when someone’s trying to pass you.
2. Practice using convex mirrors by stopping and picking out a parked car that’s behind you. Try to guess how far away it is, then turn around to see how accurate your guess was.
3. Allow extra distance when changing lanes and signal every time.
4. Use your Motorcycle mirrors and look over your shoulder when preparing for a lane change. Make sure no one is trying to pass you.
5. Check your mirrors before slowing down or stopping suddenly. Keep in mind that the driver behind you may not be expecting you to slow down, stop or turn.
6. Watch for cars approaching from behind when you’re stopped at an intersection. If the drivers aren’t paying attention, they might not see you until you meet by accident.
Keep an eye out for tailgaters. Keep moving and pull over as soon as possible whenever another driver is following too closely.
Remember that the greatest potential for accidents is at intersections.